Friday, June 13, 2008

Will power is a good thing

Ang, sorry to hear about the bags of chips shoved in your face and the 4x too big helpings of food at your parent's house.  Old habits have a hard way of dying with older parents.  My mom was so used to cooking for 3 boys that when we get together sometimes with just one of the sons and the parents now the food quantity is still the same.  But good job holding off on the chips and keeping the pasta quantity ok.  With the game tonight (praying for no rain), just don't binge.  It's ok to eat some of that stuff every now and then - just don't let everything you've done so far get thrown down the trash at once :)

Nat, hope Houston was/is ok for ya.  Not sure when you were coming back, but hope you have a safe flight back as I assume that was last night or sometime today.

OK, about this whole dancing thing.  Back when I was in my 4th year in college, I realized that I really liked to dance.  Actually, it might have been a wedding or two at some point before then, but that 4th year is really when I started to get into it.  There was a place just off of Purdue's campus called the Neon Cactus, and that's where I started getting into it.  They'd line dance until about 1 or 1:30 AM (I would learn the dances just from watching other people out on the floor, and semi making a fool of myself trying them a few times with everyone else).  Once 1 or 1:30 hit, they'd switch the music to hip-hop/club music, and the floor would turn into a little different kind of dancing :)  I did that all during my 4th year, and then I came to intern here.

Brian Schwartz, still a good friend to this day, was one of my roommates at Xavier when I came to intern.  He loved to dance as much as I did, and we went to the Forest Fair mall 2-3x a week to learn line dances and dance.  We'd be there till 2 every time we went, and lessons were around 8, so we were there for a while.  We learned about 40 new dances that summer, and even performed a competition line dance at the end of the summer that the head instructor there wanted us to do.  So when I went back to Purdue, I wanted to dance every night, but as an RA, I obviously couldn't.  But I did as much as possible, and for about 5 months after I moved here in June 2000, I kept it up.

Since then, unfortunately, my dancing has gone down.   I've maybe been 10 times since 2002.  The thing is, I hate running, and dancing would certainly provide the interval cardio that running would.  And it would get me out more.  And to be clear, while I'm doing all this dancing, even at a club, I'd have nothing but water to drink.  You can't keep dancing for 6 hours while drinking alcohol the entire time, so bartenders learned to hate me because I'd get nothing but the good ol H2O.

I sent a note to a friend of mine who teaches dance and she gave me some recos today on places to go.  I'll widdle down the list and see where to sign up.  Let me know if either of you are interested.

Yesterday was corporate athlete training for me, so I definitely ate right there.  Dinner was a frozen pizza for one, but it was probably the best I've ever eaten.  A California Pizza Kitchen Sicilian pizza.  It was great.  Today the snacks have been the usual, but trying to figure out now what to do for lunch since I didn't bring it.

Will talk to you guys later!

No comments: